Deck Of Many Things (SPOILERS)

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to BioWare's Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
Kameleon
Deck Of Many Things (SPOILERS)

Postby Kameleon » Mon Aug 20, 2001 3:18 am

I went to Watcher's Keep in Chapter 6. When I got to Aesgereth, I looked up the DOMT guide on this site, to get the most out of the thing. A couple of problems with it that I wanted to share before I report them...

1) Despite what it says, I was unable to pickpocket the Deck from Aesgereth. I had my elf F/M/T with gloves of pickpocketing drink potions of Master Thievery and Perception, to raise it to approx. 110%. Then I tried pickpocketing him. No matter how many times I tried, it always failed.

2) On the third and final draw in the game, where he picks the Wheel and runs off, the strat guide says that an Emperor Card gives you permanent Mind Shield. Cool, I think. But now I'm in Bodhi's dungeon, and the next time I rest it's gonna go away. If I stand still for 8 hours, the Mind Shield is still there, but when I rest..gone. :mad: I don't fancy staying awake till I become a god, so is this a bug or what?
Proud SLURRite Test Subject and Nick Counter of the Rolling Thunder - Visitors WELCOME!!!
[size=0](Feel free to join us for a drink, play some pool or even relax in a hottub - want to learn more? )[/size]

Sleep is for n00bs, and people with too much blood in their caffeine.
Have YOU voted for Kayless' Dungeon Crawl Inc. yet today???

Reality is an illusion created by alcohol deficiency

sigurd

Postby sigurd » Mon Aug 20, 2001 3:23 am

What you do is, play 3 times, dont let him run but attack him after the third.

The mindshield is not permanent, it just have a long duration.
Sigurd, Crazed Cleric of Talos, Servant of Evil.

Izgoth

Postby Izgoth » Mon Aug 20, 2001 6:32 am

You need atleast 160% to always be succesful. I would suggest to play for the spectral shard (if you use scimitars), if not just kill him and his friends for great exp and the deck.

jeremiah

Postby jeremiah » Mon Aug 20, 2001 3:34 pm

If you have the latest patch installed, then that "exploit" is not available anymore (i.e. DoTM cannot be pickpocketed).

If you want to rp a good character but want the Deck, then win the second draw but bet the way out of there. If you win, Aesgereth and co attacks ur party anyway.
Life is an adventure

jeremiah

Postby jeremiah » Mon Aug 20, 2001 3:36 pm

Originally posted by Kameleon:
<STRONG>2) On the third and final draw in the game, where he picks the Wheel and runs off, the strat guide says that an Emperor Card gives you permanent Mind Shield. Cool, I think. But now I'm in Bodhi's dungeon, and the next time I rest it's gonna go away. If I stand still for 8 hours, the Mind Shield is still there, but when I rest..gone. :mad: I don't fancy staying awake till I become a god, so is this a bug or what?</STRONG>

I read somewhere that the mindshield is for a duration of one week (7 game days), not permanent.
Life is an adventure

UserUnfriendly

Postby UserUnfriendly » Tue Aug 21, 2001 12:36 am

Easy way is to place 5 mordenkainen swords near his party and insult him after the 3rd draw, and say you don't trust him. he goes hostile, and the swords chew him up. hasted swords are better, inv. best of all. one got dominated. is this bug fixed with latested tob expansion patch?
They call me Darth...

Darth Gizka!

Muwahahahahhahahha!!!

Kameleon

Postby Kameleon » Tue Aug 21, 2001 1:41 am

thnx all.

@jeremiah: I bet the way out all three times, and he didn't attack me. Do you mean asking him to bet the Scepter Gem? I also just read that it was 7 days in the (usually rubbish) GameSpot guide. Buck, if you're reading this, your strat guide needs to be updated.

@UserUnfriendly: I didn't want to kill him because he was friendly, and if I had wanted to, it wouldn't have been a problem. I killed both dragons in the keep without casting a single preparation or combat spell. Thanks anyway. I think that Mordenkainen's swords can still be dominated, they have an immune ring rather than the Greenstone amulet they used to.
Proud SLURRite Test Subject and Nick Counter of the Rolling Thunder - Visitors WELCOME!!!
[size=0](Feel free to join us for a drink, play some pool or even relax in a hottub - want to learn more? )[/size]

Yshania

Postby Yshania » Tue Aug 21, 2001 3:13 pm

OK. I know we now have a ToB board but this is an existing thread...

I tried this game a few times, just to check the value of items I could win.

Every time I drew 'strife' and was slowed. He drew 'triumph' on all but one game and there was a battle between his minions. I won the draw - no further draws.

The final draw I drew 'strife' again, this time he drew construct and turned hostile. I fought and defeated him and won my chosen prize (which you can only choose if you gamble getting him out of there - the jewel)

There was NEVER a second or third draw (in all 4 games) .... :rolleyes:

Is this random? Have I missed out on something? and what in your opinion is the best prize?

Thank you ;)

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: Yshania ]
Parachute for sale, like new! Never opened!
Guinness, black goes with everything.

jeremiah

Postby jeremiah » Tue Aug 21, 2001 7:30 pm

Originally posted by Kameleon:
[QB]
@jeremiah: I bet the way out all three times, and he didn't attack me. Do you mean asking him to bet the Scepter Gem? I also just read that it was 7 days in the (usually rubbish) GameSpot guide. Buck, if you're reading this, your strat guide needs to be updated. [QB]

Yes bet the way out and choose the Gem (not the wish or spectral brand) on the second draw (I assume you want the Spectral Brand on the first draw). If you win, he goes hostile. You have to do it on the second draw as he always wins the third draw.
Life is an adventure

sigurd

Postby sigurd » Tue Aug 21, 2001 11:35 pm

Nah, bet the third time, loose but get the mindshield, then tell him you wont allow him to leave without you, then there is a battle

UserUnfriendly

Postby UserUnfriendly » Tue Aug 21, 2001 11:36 pm

Kam, as of the tob beta patch m swords still have an uncharged greenstone amulet. if its different on the full english patch, I'll check, but the dominatability of m swords is a well known bug. Thats why a good mage has both swords and skeletons in grimore, since I've never seen skeletons dominated, but they are not as quickly lethal as swords. both are very close to performance if you haste skeletons and cast mass inv on them. I perfer swords for quick and deadly strike forece, where the haste and mass inv. will give them a very high lethality against unprotected but very tough charactes, like dragons while blue.

As for being feindly, well, he's a demon.here's what I did.

got strife on first draw, bet exp, won spectral brand.

waged exp again in second draw, got wish scroll, lost str.

Used remove curse for both penalties.

third draw, you CANNOT win, so waged way out. after winning emperor and the mind shield, the last dialog allows you to give up the scepter peacefully, or say you won't trust him to return it. He is a demon after all, so I said, I would not trust him. he said soemthing about untrustable primes, and I waxed him. Used deck to give viccy my sweetie higher wisdom, tried to give aerie hisgher wisdom too, since she really needed it, but it added to her int instead. was pissed, used machine of lum to do that later.my sweetie
They call me Darth...

Darth Gizka!

Muwahahahahhahahha!!!

Yshania

Postby Yshania » Wed Aug 22, 2001 5:40 am

But why did I only get one draw in all four games tried? :rolleyes:

Thank you! :)
Parachute for sale, like new! Never opened!
Guinness, black goes with everything.

sigurd

Postby sigurd » Wed Aug 22, 2001 7:12 am

Hm, you claim you got 2 statimproves using the deck, that shouldnt be possible to my knowledge.. how did you do it?

Kameleon

Postby Kameleon » Thu Aug 23, 2001 2:12 am

I'm really peed off about the Mswords and their ammys. In SoA, I found that the greenstone amulets that they drop do not need charges used up in order to mindshield you - the effect is permanent while wearing them until you are affected by a dispel, in which case you just have to re-equip them. So when I was in the Underdark, I summoned 6 Mswords and killed them with Magic Missile, and gave everyone in my party an amulet.

When I installed ToB, everything was fine, until I was affected by a dispel. Whwn I tried to re-equip, I got "This item cannot be removed". :mad: ARRRRGGGHHH :mad: Call it cheese, call it anything you want, but the fact is, without a third-party utility(namely ShadowKeeper) I would have been stuck with these lumps of green $h*t around my neck for the rest of the game.

There, rant over. Can anyone tell me why the Mind Blank spell was omitted from the game? If you remember BG:ToTSC, where you could get the Greenstone Amulet in the Ulgoth's Beard Tavern, it mentioned in the description the ninth-level Mind Blank spell. Now I can't see for the life of me why Bioware left it out. It's not like it would have caused game imbalance problems - give it a 4 round duration or even 2 turns like in ToTSC and it would be a good protection spell, a decent upgrade to Chaotic Commands.

Any thoughts?

jeremiah

Postby jeremiah » Thu Aug 23, 2001 2:25 pm

IWD: HoW had mindblank spell but duration was 9 hours.

Of course in IWD, Dispel magic was not level dependent so all it takes was one lowly lizardman shaman to dispel ALL buffs and protections.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: jeremiah ]
Life is an adventure

UserUnfriendly

Postby UserUnfriendly » Fri Aug 24, 2001 1:29 am

sigurd, what I was trying to get with the deck after I looted it off the demon's body was to get star and have aerie's wisdom increased. Star will give you attribute increase based on class, and since aerie sweetie was dual I was hoping for wisdom increase, which was what I wanted, but she got int increase! Reloaded, and gave deck to viccy to try for star again, abd she got it.

The whole objective was to give a wisdom increase to one of my clerics who really needed it, since this is the only attribute that will actually give you more spells. On a side note, in the underdark, if you give the wrath tear to one of your npc and have them place it will her wisdom and cha go up??? Plan to try.

Oh heck, I'll just summon the books from bg 1 and increase my npc stats the way I want!!!
They call me Darth...

Darth Gizka!

Muwahahahahhahahha!!!