proficiencies

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to BioWare's Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
Grimbold the Unlovely
proficiencies

Postby Grimbold the Unlovely » Sat Jan 06, 2001 4:16 pm

I am a level 12 kensai. My current proficiencies are:

katana ****
longsword **
dual wield **

How many more proficiencies can I expect to get in the game? Any advice as to how to distribute them? This topic seems oddly neglected in the manual. No info is given about the number of proficiencies one can expect or when one can expect them.
"Not to know me argues yourselves unknown."

Drakron Du´Dark

Postby Drakron Du´Dark » Sat Jan 06, 2001 4:37 pm

Weapon Proficiencies is how well a character *Knows* its weapon, You get a + to put in proficiencies every X times you go up a level,the X times required to get a + depends on the class(I dont Know the levels require for the kensai but if uses the fighter class is + on every 2 levels)
How many, that will depend on the class on the game.
A figther max level in the Game(XCap on) is 19 so you get 9 proficiencies slots in the game(hint:use one more for dual wield you get 0 on main and -2 on off hand pelnaty)

------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not became a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss gazes into you..."
Friedrich Nietzsche

[This message has been edited by Drakron Du´Dark (edited 01-06-2001).]
- Waterdeep city constrution.

- Shadowdale low level adventure module.

- Rashmare /Thay high level adventure module.

Grimbold the Unlovely

Postby Grimbold the Unlovely » Mon Jan 08, 2001 6:32 pm

Thanks. Do those 9 proficiencies inlude the starting 6, or is it 9 in total?

Drakron Du´Dark

Postby Drakron Du´Dark » Mon Jan 08, 2001 6:53 pm

Well I am not very sure because I cant remenber how many proficies you got when you start a new game...whait (Load BG I game, start new game,Import *figther*, see the game,)
You start with 4 weapons proficies at level 1 , and get 1 every 2 levels up.so there is a total of 13.

------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not became a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss gazes into you..."
Friedrich Nietzsche
- Waterdeep city constrution.

- Shadowdale low level adventure module.

- Rashmare /Thay high level adventure module.

Radek

Postby Radek » Tue Jan 09, 2001 7:16 am

Wrong.
1. Fighters get one + per 3 levels (lvl 3, lvl 6, lvl 9, etc.)
2. Clerics get one + per 4 levels (lvl 4, lvl 8, etc.)
3. Mages get one + per 6 levels (lvl 6, lvl 12, exp cap, lvl 18)
4. Thiefs get one + per 4? levels.

Omar

Postby Omar » Tue Jan 09, 2001 7:22 am

If you start BGII and begin as a Fighter (with 89000 exp) you get to spend 6 points.
Proud member of the British Commonwealth

Grimbold the Unlovely

Postby Grimbold the Unlovely » Sat Jan 13, 2001 10:21 pm

I am now at level 17 and have 9 proficiencies. I expect to get another at level 18 making 10 in the whole game.

That's 6 to start with, then 1 more at each of the following levels: 9, 12, 15, 18.

I am a kensai with four in katana, three in dual-wield (thanks for the hint!), and two in longsword. My dilemma is now to choose where to put that last proficiency. I think I shall go with katana so I can have the satisfaction of being a grandmaster. I most often use celestial fury, but I also like Daystar and Equalizer. Flametongue is useful against trolls. What swords/proficiencies do others like?

Ivanhoe

Postby Ivanhoe » Sun Jan 14, 2001 9:19 am

OK, everyone knows about Crom Fraeyr and Carsomyr, and the piles of Long Swords, but not many appreciate this one:

Axe. Azuredge. This weapon is bugged and as such is close to being the best weapon in the game (does 3d6 damage instead of d6). To counter that it's "death" powers against undead don't work.

Still, even without the bug (you can get a patch from baldurdash.com), a +3 weapon that works both in melee and missile combat with special powers is pretty damn good. That double benefit is only available to proficiencies in dagger and axe and AFAIK Azuredge is the only weapon makes use of it. There are several other good axes as well.