Why no elven bards?

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to BioWare's Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
Astafas
Why no elven bards?

Postby Astafas » Tue Jan 16, 2001 1:53 pm

Elven bards are mentioned in the Forgotten Realms litteratur (for example Elfsong by Eleaine Cunningham). Also, elves are supposed to be very melodious. So how come you cannot play an elven bard (without using an editor)?
Proud SLURRite Vampiric Lawyer of the Rolling Thunder (TM) - Visitors WELCOME !!!
[size=0](Feel free to join us for a drink, play some pool or even relax in a hottub (but the coffin's mine!) - want to learn more? )[/size]

Life seems short considering how long you will be dead.

The_Pope

Postby The_Pope » Tue Jan 16, 2001 2:28 pm

Who cares?
You know what I wonder about bards?
Why no gnomes?
C'm on... Gnomes rule!

------------------
-Amen

Drakron Du´Dark

Postby Drakron Du´Dark » Tue Jan 16, 2001 2:30 pm

There are eleven bard but they are in evermeet.
The "bard" of that novel is in fact a minstrel.

------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not became a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss gazes into you..."
Friedrich Nietzsche
- Waterdeep city constrution.

- Shadowdale low level adventure module.

- Rashmare /Thay high level adventure module.

Krom

Postby Krom » Tue Jan 16, 2001 2:36 pm

AD&D 2nd edition Bard's Handbook has optional rules for demihuman bards (including the Elven Minstrel). However, demihuman bards are considered exceptionally rare compared to other bards.

The_Pope

Postby The_Pope » Tue Jan 16, 2001 2:41 pm

Yee-haw!
In Neverwinter, we can play gnomish bards!
But wait...
there won't be any bards!
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
I wanted to play a Skald...

Why, why, oh why did they fuse thief and bard?
...will the rogue have bard abilities? :-)
Please let it be so!

Gnomish bard... it'll never come true...

------------------
-Amen

Hex92

Postby Hex92 » Tue Jan 16, 2001 2:54 pm

Who wants to hear an elf singing in his high pitched girlie voice? Image

Hex92

Grimbold the Unlovely

Postby Grimbold the Unlovely » Tue Jan 16, 2001 7:41 pm

Good question: why no elven bards. Absurd isn't it? One has only to think of the elven bards in Tolkien (one of feanor's sons in the Silmarillion, I think it was Maedhros) to see how ridiculous this exclusion is. Who would like to hear a bard sing in a girly voice? If by girly you mean counter tenor, I would. Have you ever heard James Bowman of the Early English Music Consort?
"Not to know me argues yourselves unknown."

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Jan 16, 2001 7:48 pm

Not that I want to spam or anything but I still recommend the Shadowkeeper utility for those that want to create the kind of character they want and damned be rules that makes no sence.

Gnome monk, halforc paladin or elven bard. It's all in reach. Thanks heavens for third party programmers that invests such a large amount of time for others to benefit.

And Hex92 should remember that while perhaps not many would like to hear a male elf sing, the thought feels a bit eerie to me as well, there's a whole lot that wouldn't mind to hear a female elf sing a tune or two. Personally, however, I prefer halforcs playing bongo drums and cymbals. Image

- Hard work takes you far. Imagination takes you anywhere.

Drakron Du´Dark

Postby Drakron Du´Dark » Tue Jan 16, 2001 8:08 pm

Look in Toril the elves are going to Evermeet but that does no nean that there are no elves bards around, after the fall of myth drannor the elves retreated to evermeet the elven bards were the firsts to go there to perserve eleven songs, If you want to use shadow keep to make a elf bard, fine do it, its only bending the rules a bit, just dont make a elf Paladin that would be discarting the rules.

------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not became a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss gazes into you..."
Friedrich Nietzsche
- Waterdeep city constrution.

- Shadowdale low level adventure module.

- Rashmare /Thay high level adventure module.