New Challenge (low level soloing)

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to BioWare's Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
Nighthawk
New Challenge (low level soloing)

Postby Nighthawk » Thu Apr 12, 2001 9:24 am

It seems the speed solo challenge ( [url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=003277"]http://www.gamebanshee.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=003277[/url] ) has pretty well wrapped up, so it's time for a new one...

Lowest level character to complete the game solo. Presumably this will mean deliberately avoiding exp! :eek:

I believe to be fair for multiclass maybe the exp total should be the number used? That limits the strategy of deliberately taking a character with slower level up though...

Anyone interested in giving it a shot?

[ 04-12-2001: Message edited by: Nighthawk ]

Kovi

Postby Kovi » Thu Apr 12, 2001 11:22 am

I was also thinking about a similar new challenge. Probably the experience of the last level-up should count. I also suggest to add some time constaint.

Hazim ibn Gorion

Postby Hazim ibn Gorion » Thu Apr 12, 2001 11:53 am

I could be wrong, but my guess is that this will be tough to guage. By that I mean, just completing the necessary quests (when done solo) will probably take you up to the cap. You'd have to specifically avoid killing anything you didn't have to kill to do this.

Edwin

Postby Edwin » Thu Apr 12, 2001 1:19 pm

I think could work only with some classes. Spellcasters usually solo a game for having the opportunity more high lvl spells, so this would have no sense. But for a fighter type it could be a possibility......

What are we going to think for playing this incredible game again and again????? :eek: :eek: :D
Edwin, mighty founder of the Council of Mages; Co-founder of the Shadow Mages

Sorcery and Shadow together as one, the arcane and the dark united. Through our knowledge and skill none can stand against us. We are as one, infallible and invincible. The Shadow Mages.

Nighthawk

Postby Nighthawk » Thu Apr 12, 2001 1:27 pm

When I speed solo'd a monk I was level 18 at the end and I could easily have gotten less experience if I was trying to. I heard someone solo'd a swashbuckler and finished with only 35 kills. With a thief I believe it possible to leave for the underdark with something like 6 kills (Vampire at Docks, 2 Thieves+Guild Contact, Bohdi and the vampire that taunts you in her lair)

I would say we could go with kills, but thieves already have an advantage.

Kovi

Postby Kovi » Thu Apr 12, 2001 11:00 pm

I agree that probably the thief is the best, to play through (or a T/M, or a dual Mage dual to thief at very low level). The thief can gain unlimited money without gaining experience (stealing in shop) and go fast (with hide and backstab).
For the minimum kills: in the early chapters there are the Mephit portals and possibly Kalah (charisma). There are only a limited number of vampires which should be killed: Lassal and Bodhi in chapter3 and the "named ones" in chapter6. In my previous count I forgot about the kobolds in the Asylum, so the final number is really around 40.
But the experience would go high because of the quest experiences, so I would still recommend to focus on the xp of last level-up.

Nighthawk

Postby Nighthawk » Fri Apr 13, 2001 8:21 am

Hmm...that makes sense to me. Total xp of the level up it is then...which would portentially allow a lot of kills and item gathering while still keeping a low level. I think it may be possible to complete the game without ANY level-ups. (Can mages use any level scroll?)

Kovi

Postby Kovi » Fri Apr 13, 2001 9:16 am

I agree that a T or T/M could go through with the levels of 89000xp. Then we should redefine the goal: fastest walkthough with no level ups. :)

Nighthawk

Postby Nighthawk » Fri Apr 13, 2001 9:36 am

Let's make that the goal then. Maybe this should still be in the speed solo thread.

I think it should be possible to equal our 9 day 19 hour times with a T/M or F/T/M, maybe with a straight T.

[ 04-13-2001: Message edited by: Nighthawk ]

Kovi

Postby Kovi » Sat Apr 14, 2001 1:41 pm

OK, I have started a gnome Thief/Illusionist. It is interesting: very low hp, limited skill points. And the worst is the low level itself: all death spell are really deadly! :)
Still I'm on my way, by 14 hour I got Magi, Boots of Speed and Celestial Fury and now I'm thinking about Gaxx.

Kovi

Postby Kovi » Mon Apr 16, 2001 3:46 am

The Kangaxx story was very hard without Azuredge/Mace of disruption. The Dayblade helped against the liches, but I was not able to have enough damage rate against the demi. Finally shapechanged (limited wish) into an Iron Golem (enhanced with oil of speed + potion of power). I had no problem with the main storyline (invisibility) and reached the tear door at 9 day 19 hour. Again, the final battle against Irenicus was tough. Fortunately this time I collected enough high level summon scrolls and the hasted group wore him down.

[ 04-16-2001: Message edited by: Kovi ]

Nighthawk

Postby Nighthawk » Mon Apr 16, 2001 9:43 am

Well you're way ahead of me...still in Athkala although I should be able to leave on time. I'm probably spending more time buying piles of scrolls than I really need to be doing.

BTW: Liches are SOO easy with Protection from Undead it's silly. The description on Protection from Undead says something about only protecting you from physical attacks, but the Liches act like you're undetectable invisible even while you're beating on them.

Kovi

Postby Kovi » Mon Apr 16, 2001 10:17 am

Yes, protection from undead is nice. The only problem is when you need a dialog with the undead to continue (like the beginning of the twisted rune or the discussions with Bodhi). In the previous runs I had to use dispel magic to remove the protection (and finish in time) :)

Curdis

Postby Curdis » Thu Apr 19, 2001 7:00 pm

Speed Solo Wuss here,

This challenge seems to fit my requirements! I don't see how you could achieve the no level ups business (too many quest exps). I'm in the underdark at day 8 hour 5 with a stalker dualled to cleric 9/11. I have tried hard not to kill anything and did the assylum maze with only the spore colony, kobolds, Vamp, the wandering horror and trolls as kills (you have to kill them to proceed) but that was it. Looks like I could finish with a speed solo challenging result! - Curdis
The warlord sig of 's' - word

Making a reappearance for those who have a sig even longer :rolleyes:

[quote="Dilbert]That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard[/quote]

[quote=Waverly]You all suck donkeys[/quote]

[quote={deleted after legal threats}]I am so not a drama queen![/quote"]

:)

:mad:

:cool:

:mischief:

:angel:

:devil:

:angry:

Repent

For

Nighthawk

Postby Nighthawk » Fri Apr 20, 2001 8:28 am

To do the no level ups, just don't press the level up button. Even though you have the exp, you won't gain any levels.

Still haven't played the game since my last post, I guess I'm finally getting tired of it...hope TOB arrives soon.

BTW, that's a GREAT time for a dual classed character! I believe you're within 2 hours of record pace...did you go on the boat?

[ 04-20-2001: Message edited by: Nighthawk ]

Nighthawk

Postby Nighthawk » Wed May 02, 2001 8:38 am

Finished with my T/M last night in 9d19h. Among other things I discovered that gating multiple pit fiends at once doesn't work very well as they all attack eachother. :eek:

Staff of Magi invis combined with multiple wands is a very effective combat method, although perhaps a little slow. With a minumum level T/M your weapon proficiencies barely matter since you can't hit anything tougher than a goblin.

Curdis

Postby Curdis » Wed May 02, 2001 7:41 pm

Nighthawk,

I bought Planescape Torment and that's but BG2 on the back burner for now. After I posted the how do you not level up question I realized the answer! Your finishing times remain astonishing. - Curdis
The warlord sig of 's' - word

Making a reappearance for those who have a sig even longer :rolleyes:

[quote="Dilbert]That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard[/quote]

[quote=Waverly]You all suck donkeys[/quote]

[quote={deleted after legal threats}]I am so not a drama queen![/quote"]

:)

:mad:

:cool:

:mischief:

:angel:

:devil:

:angry: