correction about assumptions on drizzt =]

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to BioWare's Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
Mielikki
correction about assumptions on drizzt =]

Postby Mielikki » Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:24 am

i ve read some posts like "What is Drizzt on?" and i think i have to enlighten some of you guys about drizzt Image

here are complete 3rd edition AD&D stats of Drizzt Do'Urden, from wizards.com

Original design by Dale Donovan, based on the character created by R. A. Salvatore Updated for 3rd Edition D&D by Stephen Kenson

As we usher in a new edition of the D&D game, we’re giving some of its characters a bit of a facelift. Let’s start with a new take on stats for one of the Forgotten Realms all-stars: the dark elf Drizzt Do’Urden. (A previous version of this description appeared in The Heroes’ Lorebook sourcebook.) These updated stats let you introduce Drizzt right away as an NPC in your new Realms campaign.

Male Drow (Dark Elf), 16th-Level Ranger
Strength ........ 13 (+1)
Dexterity ....... 21 (+5)
Constitution ... 15 (+2)
Intelligence .... 17 (+3)
Wisdom ........ 17 (+3)
Charisma ...... 14 (+2)
Fortitude Save +12
Reflex Save +12
Will Save +8
Alignment Chaotic good
Speed 30 ft.
Size M
Initiative +9 (Improved Initiative)
Armor Class 24 (+5 Dex, +9 armor)
Hit Points 92
Attack Bonus +16/+11/+6/+1 (primary weapon), +17/+12 (secondary weapon).

21(+5) dexterity is godlike for me, meaning he can "hit" u real bad.
about the bracers/gauntlet confusion, they are "bracers of blinding strike" worn by Dantrag Baenre, second son of house Baenre and a hated enemy of Drizzt, who battle during the "drow invasion of Mithral Hall".

first Dantrag has the edge because he s damn fast with his drow long swords, but then drizzt sees the imbalance between his body and the weapons. so he finds a opportunity and finishes the wrethched drow.

he gets the bracers, puts em on and starts training with dear Cattie Brie(kewl chick wielding Khazid'Hea a weapon that SHOULD HAVE BEEN included in bg2) and he realises that these bracers **** up his balance. cuz drow like drizzt depend on DEXTERITY rather then STRENGTH so their dodging and balance between body and weapons are important. so he puts em on his ankles and uses em to walk faster ^_^

he s not lvl 15 ranger, he was lvl 18 fighter before he left Menzoberranzan, one of the drow communities, and on surface he is trained by a blind ranger (who has no prejudice vs him cuz he kant see his skin color). He shows him the good things about forest, how to survive, how to be good. Mooshie also shows him the ways of Mielikki, Goddess of Rangers. So Drizzt becomes a ranger of lvl16.

*skillz

Animal Empathy +6, Bluff +3, Climb +5, Handle Animal +5, Heal +4, Hide +12, Intuit Direction +9, Jump +5, Listen +6, Move Silently +12, Ride +8, Rope Use +4, Search +8, Spot +9, Track +12, Wilderness Lore +10

*Feats
Ambidexterity (ranger bonus feat), Blind-Fight, Dodge, Expertise, Improved Initiative, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Lightning Reflexes, Two-Weapon Fighting (ranger bonus feat)

ambidexterity is probably the answer to you guys questions about how he cant be "hit" easy.

Ranger spells he typically has prepared include: 1st--animal friendship, entangle, pass without trace; 2nd--detect evil, hold animal, protection from elements; 3rd --control plants, neutralize poison; 4th--nondetection.

Special: As a ranger, Drizzt gains a bonus to Bluff, Listen, Spot, and Track, as well as damage rolls against the following types of creatures: goblinoids (+4), magical beasts (+3), evil outsiders (+2), and vermin (+1). As a drow, he can use the following spell-like abilities, each once per day, as a sorcerer of his level: dancing lights, faerie fire, and darkness. He has darkvision and +2 to saving throws against spells and spell-like effects; he’s lost his normal spell resistance, as he’s been on the surface too long.

now lets move on to his weapons.
mithral chain mail +4, a frostbrand +3 scimitar (named Icingdeath), a defender +5 scimitar (named Twinkle), and a figurine of wondrous power, an onyx panther named Guenhwyvar (see the end of this entry for more information). Drizzt carries a mix of adventuring gear, including some drow and dwarven equipment.

mithral chain mail +4 (wish i had one) is forged by Breunor Battlehammer for him. Icingdeath, a demonsbane weapon, is the loot from an icedragon(his name is about 30 letters lol) when Wulgar the barbarian and Drizzt kill it. It gives very desent protection from fire, and its double damage vs creatures of the abyss. Twinkle, a present from a sage while him and friends are looking for the legendary mithral hall, is a defender sword who gives good AC bonus.(strikes as +5, nice?) Twinkle is a blurry-greenish glowing sword, which glows when evil creatures are nearby. It serves him good on the surface but in the tunnels of underdark it causes a porblem because stealth is the most important thing to survive in the underdark.

here s a complete listing of books by R.A. Salvatore(and one other) about the renegade drow.
these books made me into the Forgotten Realms work, some friends made fun of me while i was reading em, but when they read homeland their mouths were wide open by the style and comfortable way of salvatore.
i say give it a try, (5 bucks paperback) its gonna change a lot in your life. its gonna teach you how to "survive" without being evil.

and why i posted this long post? just to inform some curious, correct some assumptions and distribute the word of "lets not kill drizzt" and unbalance the world of Forgotten Realms.

Homeland : Forgotten Realms (Dark Elf Trilogy, Book 1)

Exile (Forgotten Realms, Dark Elf Trilogy, Book 2)

Sojourn (The Dark Elf Trilogy, Book 3)

The Crystal Shard (Icewind Trilogy, Book 1)

Streams of Silver (Icewind Trilogy, Book 2)

Halfling's Gem (Icewind Trilogy, Book 3)

The Legacy

Starless Night

Siege of Darkness

Passage to Dawn

The Silent Blade

The Spine of the World

Servant of the Shard

Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark

------------------
~Goddess Of Forests and all Rangers~

Mielikki

Postby Mielikki » Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:27 am

for some of u that dont know, 3rd edition AD&D has +armor classes now.. no more - numbers.
bye bye THACO :*( we ll miss u greatly.

------------------

Sabretooth

Postby Sabretooth » Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:41 am

Interesting post. I've never read any AD&D books but Drizzts character sounds impressive. Can you get these books anywhere or do you have to mailorder them or something? (anyone in Australia read these?)

And just one more question, shouldnt Drizzt have a higher CHA level than 14 because everyone in the Realms (at least in the BG series) seems to love the guy?
Doesnt he desereve a 17 or 18?

Mielikki

Postby Mielikki » Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:54 am

i thikn u can get the books delivered to anywhere in the world by [url="http://www.amazon.com"]www.amazon.com[/url]

or u might wanna check the online bookstores of your country =]

the reason his charisma is low is mainly because he s a dark elf, any drow who is seen in Faerun is feared and prejudiced because they are the merciless killers. that is the big penalty he recieves while dealing with ppl of the faerun. okay, he is famous but not "all" people know of him and would recognise him.

hope this helps, if u got any questions about heroes/gods of Forgotten Realms, email me guvensertac@hotmail.com

cya Image

------------------

The_Pope

Postby The_Pope » Wed Mar 28, 2001 10:33 am

Miss THACO? What planet are you from? That thing made the game way too complicated. Much easier now, which is good, coz I'm lazy, and I hate maths...

rapier

Postby rapier » Wed Mar 28, 2001 10:40 am

The name of the white dragon Drizzt got Icingdeath form was named "Ingeloakastimizilian" aka "Icingdeath"...

------------------
Though I can see to the ends of the earth
Still I ramble this treacherous path.
Over my shoulder I glimpse the corpses gathering.
This day I walk the Way of the Beast.
Visit
[url="http://www.fanfiction.net"]www.fanfiction.net[/url]

rapier

Postby rapier » Wed Mar 28, 2001 10:43 am

Come to think about it, Khazid'Hea was implemented, they only made it a two-handed sword and called it "Silver Blade" Image

------------------
Visit

Mielikki

Postby Mielikki » Wed Mar 28, 2001 10:57 am

well, i checked the stats, its pretty ok, but dont forget Khazid'Hea is sentient(hilt of sword changes shape to attract a more powerful wielder.in case of Drizzt, it changed to a unicorn(symbol of forest) but drizzt was confortable with his scimitars.

and man, silver blade doez not slay earth elementals or stone golems. remember Khazid'Hea "cuts through the stone like butter"
=]

------------------

rapier

Postby rapier » Wed Mar 28, 2001 10:59 am

Well, the Silver Blade has a 30% chance of killing everything outright, dragons, golems, elementals...

------------------
Visit

Locke Da'averan

Postby Locke Da'averan » Wed Mar 28, 2001 4:25 pm

I've never read forgotten realm books, but just one thing i have to ask...
Who in the books has given names to the dragons, i mean, thaxll'sillyia(near that anyway, the black dragon can't remember it's name) and so on, man who the hell can pronounce those names anyway?
Is there a Very very very very old mama dragon (dead now?) who gave the names or did they made their names up themselves or what?

rapier

Postby rapier » Wed Mar 28, 2001 4:26 pm

Hmmmnn...good question!

------------------
Isto draeval d'lil velg'larn.
Venorik akt velve,
venorik icil streea.
Nau ka'lith.
Visit

Cloud

Postby Cloud » Wed Mar 28, 2001 4:46 pm

great post mielikki

i may sound stupid but what do the numbers in brackets after his stat numbers mean, "dext 21 + 5 = 26 dex???" how can they get rid of thaco, how will the new system work??

------------------
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

Dúnadan

Postby Dúnadan » Wed Mar 28, 2001 5:06 pm

I believe the '+5' is the bonus Drizzt gets due to his high ability scores. These bonuses apply to any skill in which that attribute is used. Ie: When making a balance check, his modifier to the roll is a +5, etc.

------------------
President of the World Alliance for the Advancement of Me (W.A.A.M.)
"I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the aged: they choose the wisest person present to speak to." - Gandalf

Mielikki

Postby Mielikki » Thu Mar 29, 2001 9:31 am

agreed Dúnadan, its something to do with roll modifier.

and about the thaco, ac thingys, the third generation rules implemented the new system, which says the AC is going to start from say 0, and the higher the number, the better the armor class. i am not pretty much sure how the starting ac's will be for each class, but Drizzt Do'Urden had -4 AC in 2nd generation AD&D. so i dont think 24 is as powerful as we think.
Drizzt has -4 AC but he has a special attack which was not listed in my post, its like a whirlwind that we all know but he changed it a little bit and made it look like a "screwdriver effect" when in this attack mode, he had an AC of -10, and if anyone would be able to hit him through this defense, they would recieve 2 hits from the "screwdriver effect" =]

anyways, THACO, to hit armor class of zero, took me a long time to figure and memorize but now, the damage done (with the ability etc modifiers) will be subtracted from the armor class directly. so no need to mess with the negative numbers of thaco and ac anymore.
i said i ll miss THACO and one guy replied are u insane, hehe i agree with him actually i wont miss those odd calculations =]

------------------

The_Pope

Postby The_Pope » Thu Mar 29, 2001 9:55 am

Originally posted by Cloud:
great post mielikki

i may sound stupid but what do the numbers in brackets after his stat numbers mean, "dext 21 + 5 = 26 dex???" how can they get rid of thaco, how will the new system work??

The +5 indicates the AC bonus, gained from having 21 DEX.

The new system goes as follows:
AC starts from 0 (add bonuses). To hit someone, you have to roll a 20-sided die, and surpass his AC. Presumable there will be items increasing your roll; this would replace the THACO bonuses in AD&D.

Also, don't be surprised to see characters with 26 DEX. In 3E D&D, it's perfectly possible. By gaining levels, you get more statistics points to distribute among your stats (1 per 4 levels, IIRC); and these stast can exceed 25. The sky's the limit.

There are a lot of changes, like the dual-/multi-classing system and the XP tables, but I guess you already know this. If not, ask me about it and I'll be glad to tell you.
I for one like the new D&D.

------------------
The Pope, known in the Realms as Gabriel, is a Proud Member of the Brotherhood of the Woods

[This message has been edited by The_Pope (edited 03-29-2001).]

Cobbler Orcbreaker

Postby Cobbler Orcbreaker » Mon Apr 02, 2001 3:35 pm

Im just wondering, It's been a long time since I read the Underdark books by R.A. Salvatore. Isn't Drizzt trained by his father. Well is Drizzt or his father, Zakreifen (whatever his name) better at fighting? I know Zakeifen is when he was a undead spirit.

rapier

Postby rapier » Mon Apr 02, 2001 5:02 pm

Originally posted by Cobbler Orcbreaker:
Im just wondering, It's been a long time since I read the Underdark books by R.A. Salvatore. Isn't Drizzt trained by his father. Well is Drizzt or his father, Zakreifen (whatever his name) better at fighting? I know Zakeifen is when he was a undead spirit.

lol, Zakreifen...Umm...Maybe when Drizzt was young(but what's young for a drow?!) he was not as good, but now he's like a 16th level Ranger, soo...Zak was better then coz he was kinda undead, felt no pain, never got tired etc....
Visit

Angelus

Postby Angelus » Mon Apr 02, 2001 5:30 pm

I remember reading somewhere that his father was a lvl. 24 fighter with stats at least as good as Drizzt's, so he must have been the better fighter.
"Everybody wants to see justice done, to somebody else."

TheHellion

Postby TheHellion » Mon Apr 02, 2001 9:58 pm

Mielikki, check [url="http://www.wizards.com/books/main.asp?x=../dnd/fr/fx20010117d,2"]this[/url] site out. They've updated Drizzt's 3rd ed stats. He's now a multi-classed fighter/barbarian/ranger, and his items have been toned down considerably, so that they adhere to the NPC rules outlined in the DMG. Be sure to have a look.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

rapier

Postby rapier » Tue Apr 03, 2001 2:26 am

Ack, they made Twinkle a defender +2 instead of +5, that sucks...Hmn, he became better in INT and WIS...but Barbarian?! An elf...ah, well...
Visit