Sorcerer spell picks[/size]
Here i am going to point out the most usefull spells for sorcerer. All the "must have" ones, and few others. Note that on some levels i may list more than 5. The choice will be ultimately yours. [color="Red"]SR
[/color] mark next to the spell means that it is considered a "must have" only with Spell Revisions. SR in the middle of spell description lists the changes to the spell. Also note, that some spells, even tho listed, have a "Only use scrolls" suggestion. This is because there are either other SUPERB spells on the same level, or the spells, even tho great, are very limited.
Level 1.Magic missile
- the unquestioned king of level one spells. Never misses. No save allowed. Hits 5 times. Magical damage (very, very few enemies have immunity to this type of damage). The easiest way to kill Mordenkeinen swords, but you will probably finish off a dragon or two with this one.Shield
- Unlike Armor spell, this one stacks with items like robe of vecna. Lasts shorter than Armor, but in addition to the AC bonus it also stops magic missile.Grease [color="Red"]SR[/color]
- With spell revisions installed, grease does not allow a save on slowing effect (as it should be)Spook
- Surprisingly good for a level one spell, builds up a nice save penalty. After some time this loses importance, because monsters get insane save bonuses and / or immunity to fear effects, but it saved my butt once or twice. Since there are FIVE 1st level spells to pick for a sorcerer, take it.Find Familiar
- Only if you've installed Improved Illyich from tactics, where every point of health is priceless. Otherwise pick the scroll from D'Arnise keep.Identify
- Slot filler. If you want to take all of the above, just hire Edwin / Aerie / Jan to do the identification, and then kick them out. If it's your 100th play through, then just identify the items that HAVE to be identifies (the ones that have "Use" label) in shop, for mere 100 coins.
- Great defensive buff. Cumulative with all other buffs. Gives a bonus to both AC and saves.Glitterdust
- AoE blinder, AoE invisibility detecter. Does not affect party. Surprisingly strong against beholders (as a matter of fact i can't recall one making a save. Need a confirmation on this.) [color="Red"]SR[/color] reduces the area of effect, but adds a debuff that forbids invisibility powers for 4 roundsMirror Image
- Bread and butter tank spell. Not taking it would be a crime. Stacks with everything else. Instant cast.Know Opponent [color="Red"]SR
[/color] - Replaces the useless Know Aligment. Debuffs enemy AC and physical resistances. Ascensions Yaga-Shura killer.Knock [color="Red"]SR[/color]
- Replaces the useless door opener. Works like dragons Wing Buffet. Knocks back + adds unconsciousnessMelf's Acid Arrow
- Single target damage over time spell. Acid damage. Handy for chromatic demon. If you stack few of them its a nice tool against mages.Stinking Cloud
- AoE Save-Or-Suck spell that ticks each round for 10 rounds. Very, very nice to have. [color="Red"]SR[/color] changes the sleep effect to unability to attack or cast spells. Which is better, because it does not break on attack.. And worse, because the targets can still moveInvisibility
- I guess you could pick it up to fill a free spot. I however never use this spell for there are plenty of BETTER invisibility spells, invisibility items and potions. It might be handy for low level encounters, or to flee when you run out of high level spells (but why would you do that?!)
Level 3.Clairvoyance [color="Red"]SR[/color]
- Replaces the utterly useless spell with Not-dispellable immunity to backstab, and a +2 buff to AC and Breath Save. Handy against dragons and thief heavy fights.Melf's Minute Meteors
- Turns your wizard into a HARD hitting ranged physical dps. The meteors hit 5 times per turn, have additional fire damage and high level of enchancement. You can throw these in between spells. (low-strength sorcerers should watch out, for the stones have weight!)Protection from Fire
- If you run solo, or don't have any clerics / mages then take it. It stacks with scrolls. You DO want to have 100 fire resistance (maybe even 127. See "Ust'Natha defenses")Skull Trap
- THE level 3 spell. Hits extremely hard, and the damage is physical. Only the person who triggers it gets magic resistance check. Watch out for the radius cause it killed countless careless sorcerers. Also note that there is a slight delay between placing the trap and explosion.Remove Magic
- A much better version of dispell magic, cause it does not affect party. Before you say "How am i supposed to get rid of the debuffs then!?" - PROTECT yourself from them!Spell Thrust
- The lowest and least powerfull magic protection dispell. It get's a significant buff if you have selected "Spell Thrust, Secret Word and Ruby Ray get a small Area of Effect" option in SCSII instalationHaste
- A slot filler. There are far too many Oils of Speed and Boots of Speed to bother with it. Only pick if you REALY want to. DO NOT take it if you run solo.Flame Arrow
- Another slot filler (unless you play with a party with another magic using tank). At first it may seem like a waste, but after few levels the damage with flame arrow is very high. The downside is - Fire resistance is the most common one. [color="Red"]SR[/color] allows each arrow to hit a different target
- A truly wonderfull spell. The best AoE disabling spell in baldurs gate 2. Damage does not break the effect. This does not affect your party.
- It cripples all enemy melee fighters. Does not allow a save. The key to beat Eclipse Party. HOWEVER there are very few places where you realy need to use it. Hunt down scrolls or hire a mage with you. Do NOT take it if you run solo
[color="Red"]SR[/color] allows the victims a save each round.Ice Storm [color="Red"]SR[/color]
Adds an unavoidable slowing effect to this useless spell, making it a very nice addition to fights like Eclipse party or Ust'Natha. However, it is only desired in those two fights so.. Do NOT take it if you run soloStoneskin
- Just take it. There is absolutely no excuse to NOT have stoneskin.Secret Word
- Much more usefull than Spell Thrust. Get's a huge buff with SCSIIGreat Malison
- Lowers enemy saves. Beware - it does not bypass magic resistance which makes it MUCH less usefull in the toughest fights. [color="Red"]SR[/color] makes this spell useless for this level.Improved Invisibility
- A slot filler. It should be left for the mage to buff people with improved invisibility. However, if you don't know what else to take, you might take II. [color="Red"]SR[/color] gives this spell a small nerf.
- Just take it. You will use breach more times than you could possibly imagine. Especially with SCSII. Lower Resistance
- Very handy spell. It lowers enemy resistance by up to 30% Sunfire
- Does fire damage. Hits party members. Is centered on caster.. But ignores magic resistance! Fry those damn drow!
Note however that if you cast it while in time stop, and then move even by an inch, you will get hit by it.Spell Immunity
- Don't leave home without it. A well prepared combo of spell immunity and other defensive buffs makes you completely invulnerable to enemy mages. (as long as they won't dispell it). Key to effordlesly beating demi-liches.Spell Shield
- Protects from one "piercing" spell (like Ruby ray of reversal). Stops beholder anti-magic rays. Key to effordlesly beat beholders.Shadow Door
- Take only if you don't plan on using Staff of the magi for some impossible to explain reason.. Faster casting time than Improved Invisibility.
[url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn-9/guide-to-tactical-mods-spoilers-116063.html#post1068546"]BG2 tactical mods guide[/url]
What? You're still here? Go write a review![url="http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/rpg-user-reviews-118/"]Here[/url]
Insane Ironman BG2 let's play! [url="http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81201.msg2140894#msg2140894"]Here[/url]