MMO Gaming Editorial

Comment on any and all newsbits that get posted to GameBanshee's homepage!
GameBanshee News
MMO Gaming Editorial

Postby GameBanshee News » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:24 pm

BBC News <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7960785.stm">editorializes</a> on the present and future of MMO gaming. Not necessarily a high-interest piece, but these Screen Digest numbers of "10 most popular subscription games in terms of spending" are interesting.<blockquote>1) World of Warcraft<br>2) Club Penguin<br>3) RuneScape<br>4) Eve Online<br>5) Final Fantasy XI<br>6) The Lord of the Rings Online<br>7) Dofus<br>8) Age of Conan<br>9) City of Heroes<br>10) EverQuest II</blockquote>Spotted on <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/">RPS</a>.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:28 pm

I find it sad that Runescape occupies the third slot... It's a terrible game.. :rolleyes:
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

DesR85

Postby DesR85 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:50 pm

Club Penguin at no. 2? :eek:

Never even heard of it until I read this article. My knowledge on MMOs must be piss poor. :(
''They say truth is the first casualty of war. But who defines what's true? Truth is just a matter of perspective. The duty of every soldier is to protect the innocent, and sometimes that means preserving the lie of good and evil, that war isn't just natural selection played out on a grand scale. The only truth I found is that the world we live in is a giant tinderbox. All it takes...is someone to light the match" - Captain Price

Brother None

Postby Brother None » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:39 am

Funny, DesR, the guys at RPS reacted the same way. Say it's a casual Disney MMO. I'm not surprised that something like that can grow so big and still slip under our radar, no?
GameBanshee, your resource for all things RPG
No Mutants Allowed, your Fallout resource
"Those who say they give the public what it wants begin by underestimating public taste and end by debauching it" T.S. Eliot

Faust

Postby Faust » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:50 am

I had never heard of Club Penguin, either. For some reason, I was surprised to see Lord of the Rings and Eve Online that high. Dragonwench, is Runescape that bad? Never played, but have some friends who have enjoyed it in spurts.

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:02 am

Faust wrote:I had never heard of Club Penguin, either. For some reason, I was surprised to see Lord of the Rings and Eve Online that high. Dragonwench, is Runescape that bad? Never played, but have some friends who have enjoyed it in spurts.

It actually surprised me that LOTRO wasn't higher on that list. MMOs aren't really my thing, I find the repetition boring, but I did play LOTRO for a few months and as MMOs go it was good. As is, of course, evident, it has a much stronger story than the competition and the community tends to be more mature.

As to Runescape, now maybe it has changed more recently but I watched my son play it a number of years back and I was very unimpressed. It was possible to lure other players into remote areas and kill them in order to steal their gear, account hacking was rampant, game play generally looked tedious, and the player community left a great deal to be desired...
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

Aqua-chan

Postby Aqua-chan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:22 am

dragon wench wrote:As to Runescape, now maybe it has changed more recently but I watched my son play it a number of years back and I was very unimpressed. It was possible to lure other players into remote areas and kill them in order to steal their gear, account hacking was rampant, game play generally looked tedious, and the player community left a great deal to be desired...

As a former player I can say this also easily defines World of Warcraft. Except in WoW you don't hunt down other players to steal their gear -- you just do it simply for the joy of driving them insane.

The MMO players, for the most part, aren't after quality mechanics and story. They just want to run around and bash things with each other and show off their "hard-earned" goodies. I think the games that provide the player with more opportunities to be cheap, ruthless backstabbing jerks are going to be the big draws to the older MMO audience. :rolleyes:
[SIZE="1"][color="Pink"]"There are worse things in the world than serving the whims of a deadly sex goddess." - Zevran[/color][/size]