23 Amazing Game Soundtracks You Don't Remember

Comment on any and all newsbits that get posted to GameBanshee's homepage!
GameBanshee News
23 Amazing Game Soundtracks You Don't Remember

Postby GameBanshee News » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:34 pm

GamesRadar has cranked out <a href="http://www.gamesradar.com/f/23-amazing-game-soundtracks-you-dont-remember/a-2009031615610828021">a list of twenty-three "amazing game soundtracks you don't remember"</a>, with 2K Games' BioShock and Rare's classic RPG platformer Wizards & Warriors III getting recognition.<br><br>Any sountrack "top" list isn't complete without a mention for Planescape: Torment. Period.

GawainBS

Postby GawainBS » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:54 pm

True enough. Several Final Fantasies belong there as well. (Especially VI).

Faust

Postby Faust » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:10 pm

Torments was good. I enjoyed the sound tracks for VtM: Bloodlines and Fallout 3, as well. Both did a nice job of crafting a mood.

Aqua-chan

Postby Aqua-chan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:43 pm

BioShock = mediocre game, great soundtrack. I'd also put a vote in for Morrowind's music too.
[SIZE="1"][color="Pink"]"There are worse things in the world than serving the whims of a deadly sex goddess." - Zevran[/color][/size]

Nightmare

Postby Nightmare » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:05 pm

GameBanshee News wrote:Any sountrack "top" list isn't complete without a mention for Planescape: Torment. Period.

Absolutely agreed.

TIE Fighter should also be on the list. It had an original, yet Star Wars-esque soundtrack that fit the franchise while being new. One of the main reasons why the re-releases aren't as good as the original game.
If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do.

fable

Postby fable » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:39 pm

GameBanshee News wrote:Any sountrack "top" list isn't complete without a mention for Planescape: Torment. Period.

I think that's pretty true, but again, these are simply features put together by strutting 15-year-olds boasting about their memories of playing nothing but games for the last few years. Why quote them, why would you even expect anything out of them? You and I have probably played 50 times the games they have, and more importantly, enjoyed real lives filled with human companionship. :)
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

Brother None

Postby Brother None » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:10 pm

Dang, fable, you been pretty angry lately, huh?
GameBanshee, your resource for all things RPG
No Mutants Allowed, your Fallout resource
"Those who say they give the public what it wants begin by underestimating public taste and end by debauching it" T.S. Eliot

fable

Postby fable » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Brother None wrote:Dang, fable, you been pretty angry lately, huh?

No, just noting the eternal round of arrogant kiddies sounding off about their great base of small knowledge. ;) In effect, their endless onslaught of factual errors and opinions based upon exceptionally limited experience are creating a Net-wide perception of computer games that is wrong from start to finish. It's sort of anti-news, and amusing to read, I agree, but after a while, I wish someone would change the station and provide some substance for a bit. A piece that didn't make assumptions about RPGs starting with Diablo, or even BG1; someone who didn't make believe soundtracks or animation or computer gaming in general began in 2003, or even 1999. That's all. :)
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

Brother None

Postby Brother None » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:39 pm

You mean, errr, someone like us? Or a number of smaller sites, for that matter...

Though it only applies to me to a limited extent. I've played a number of pre-BIS RPGs, but not nearly enough really. Heck, I recently picked up Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday to play for the first time (on my Sega Megadrive, no less)

Still, dude, it's the internet. Anyone can start a website and spout unsubstantiated opinions on anything. It just is what it is. Games Radar has no pretense to being a serious or well-educated website, it's a site by kids for kids, and it works.
"Those who say they give the public what it wants begin by underestimating public taste and end by debauching it" T.S. Eliot

fable

Postby fable » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:52 pm

Brother None wrote:You mean, errr, someone like us? Or a number of smaller sites, for that matter...

No, not like us. From what I've read in the articles and reviews posted here, the people who write 'em have knowledge that goes back more than a 3-5 years, and critical skills that allow for detailed, nuanced responses.

Still, dude, it's the internet. Anyone can start a website and spout unsubstantiated opinions on anything. It just is what it is. Games Radar has no pretence to being a serious or well-educated website, it's a site by kids for kids, and it works.

This is a justification for everything on the Web from sites that insist President/Premier ABC is the Beast 666, to those that promise a fortune to whomever sends $600 to a bank account in Nigeria--but that wasn't the point I was making. All I'm saying is that reporting garbage helps spread garbage, and makes arriving at facts within any particular field all the more difficult to achieve. And that while this is all very amusing, I would like a change from garbage to well-researched fact and opinion, every now and again. That's all. I don't expect it, but when it happens, it's like a breath of fresh air. :)

DesR85

Postby DesR85 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:57 pm

If it's soundtracks I don't remember, it's because the music is either bland or just absolute rubbish to listen to (PoP's Warrior Within heavy metal music comes to mind here). It just comes down to how good the music is written and the ability of the composer.

On the topic of this article, I agree with Bioshock only with that 'Beyond the Sea' music. The rest of the music in their list comes across as mundane. Enjoyed Freedom Fighter's score since it fits the theme of the game and Jesper Kyd did a really good job there.

As for the rest of the games, either I don't know those games too well or even if I've heard of them, their tracks are just bland or plain rubbish.
''They say truth is the first casualty of war. But who defines what's true? Truth is just a matter of perspective. The duty of every soldier is to protect the innocent, and sometimes that means preserving the lie of good and evil, that war isn't just natural selection played out on a grand scale. The only truth I found is that the world we live in is a giant tinderbox. All it takes...is someone to light the match" - Captain Price

Ronan

Postby Ronan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:13 am

Brother None wrote:Dang, fable, you been pretty angry lately, huh?

I have to agree

DesR85

Postby DesR85 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:44 am

Ronan wrote:I have to agree

He has a point, tho... ;)
''They say truth is the first casualty of war. But who defines what's true? Truth is just a matter of perspective. The duty of every soldier is to protect the innocent, and sometimes that means preserving the lie of good and evil, that war isn't just natural selection played out on a grand scale. The only truth I found is that the world we live in is a giant tinderbox. All it takes...is someone to light the match" - Captain Price

Brother None

Postby Brother None » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:56 am

fable wrote:No, not like us. From what I've read in the articles and reviews posted here, the people who write 'em have knowledge that goes back more than a 3-5 years, and critical skills that allow for detailed, nuanced responses.

No, I meant: aren't GameBanshee and at least a dozen other sites providing the kind of specialized in-depth viewing you're asking for?

fable wrote:All I'm saying is that reporting garbage helps spread garbage, and makes arriving at facts within any particular field all the more difficult to achieve. And that while this is all very amusing, I would like a change from garbage to well-researched fact and opinion, every now and again. That's all. I don't expect it, but when it happens, it's like a breath of fresh air.

If it required any kind of degree to call oneself a journalist or write on games, that'd be most of the problem out the door. It just is what it is, tho'

GawainBS

Postby GawainBS » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:38 am

The list had a point with Secret of Mana, though.

fable

Postby fable » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:49 am

Brother None wrote:No, I meant: aren't GameBanshee and at least a dozen other sites providing the kind of specialized in-depth viewing you're asking for?

My amused gripe, though, isn't about the small number of sites that do a good job, is it? It's about the far larger number of medium and big sites that spread misinformation, and reporting what all these sites write.

If it required any kind of degree to call oneself a journalist or write on games, that'd be most of the problem out the door.

No, it really wouldn't, and I speak as someone who has a (very old) degree, one of two, in journalism. :D What's really required are people who know a given field well, and have the critical apparatus to analyze, separate, and draw appropriate conclusions from their facts and opinions. A degree in journalism won't give these to you.

It just is what it is, tho'

And until somebody tells me I haven't got the right to laugh at the ill-informed, all-knowing kiddies, or our reports containing their efforts, I will continue to do so. :)