Is Final Fantasy VII the Best RPG Ever Made?

Comment on any and all newsbits that get posted to GameBanshee's homepage!
GameBanshee News
Is Final Fantasy VII the Best RPG Ever Made?

Postby GameBanshee News » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:32 pm

IGN has posted <a href="http://retro.ign.com/articles/958/958466p1.html">a retrospective review-of-sorts</a> for Final Fantasy VII in an attempt to determine if it's "the best RPG ever made."<br><blockquote>Spanning three discs, Final Fantasy VII was unparalleled, both in size and in scope, for a console RPG. The new medium let Square craft a series of CG-animated cutscenes for which the company is now known for, for better or worse. While the dedicated Final Fantasy audience followed along without question, these cutscenes and other commercialized aspects of the game were responsible for introducing the genre to a whole new audience of gamers. After all, these heroes did not exist as flat sprites in a world of repeating backgrounds and eight-level-deep menus. Hellzapoppin magic effects filled the screen. Characters looked somewhat adult, which dovetailed nicely with Sony's plot to bring games to an audience that had previously dismissed them as playthings.<br><br>...<br><br>Final Fantasy VII's gameplay is perhaps more focused than its narrative. The game employs turn-based battles with random encounters like most RPGs released up to this point, although Final Fantasy VII does move at a faster pace due to its active turn-based combat, which means while your main hero is waiting for a turn, other characters are acting. This speeds the battle process, which could be considered a mercy since there are a lot of random battles in Final Fantasy VII.</blockquote>Those of us who prefer Western-style RPGs would argue that Final Fantasy VII is just a small blip on a 30+ year history of role-playing video games, but it's still interesting to read why so many JRPG fans seem to think FF7 is the pinnacle of gaming.

Siberys

Postby Siberys » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:14 pm

I'm actually a fan of Final Fantasy, played almost all of them and FF7 is nowhere NEAR the best.

The only reason it has hype is due to it being the first 3D Final Fantasy game. But overall, I could tell you that FF6, FF2, and FF12 are better than 7. Easily. I could also tell you that Final Fantasy really isn't much of an RPG.

You're not even really playing a role of any kind. They're the ones in control, all you do is move them and level them up.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Listen up maggots, Mr. Popo's 'bout to teach you the pecking order.
It goes you, the dirt, the worms inside of the dirt, Popo's stool, Kami, then Popo.
~Mr. Popo, Dragonball Z Abridged[/color]

Faust

Postby Faust » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:43 pm

Personally, I thought Final Fantasy IV and V were actually better games. With that said, I do not think it's much of a stretch to say that Final Fantasy VII was a hugely influential JRPG. At the time of its release, everyone I knew was playing it (given, this was a younger gaming audience at the time). The characters and storyline were quite memorable. The graphics were the highest quality I had seen at the time. It also contained some of the best mini-games I've played in any RPG. So, it definitely seemed to usher in a new era for JRPG. I'm sure that those of you who are historians of the RPG genre - such as Buck, Brother None, and Fable - can speak more to its impact on Western RPGs than I can. But, as someone who cut his teeth on console RPGs before transiting to the western fare of the computer world, I remember Final Fantasy VII fondly.

Siberys

Postby Siberys » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:40 pm

Faust wrote:Personally, I thought Final Fantasy IV and V were actually better games. With that said, I do not think it's much of a stretch to say that Final Fantasy VII was a hugely influential JRPG. At the time of its release, everyone I knew was playing it (given, this was a younger gaming audience at the time). The characters and storyline were quite memorable. The graphics were the highest quality I had seen at the time. It also contained some of the best mini-games I've played in any RPG. So, it definitely seemed to usher in a new era for JRPG. I'm sure that those of you who are historians of the RPG genre - such as Buck, Brother None, and Fable - can speak more to its impact on Western RPGs than I can. But, as someone who cut his teeth on console RPGs before transiting to the western fare of the computer world, I remember Final Fantasy VII fondly.

Just remember, saying Final Fantasy 7 was a great game, or the best final fantasy game is a LOT different than saying It was the best RPG ever.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]Listen up maggots, Mr. Popo's 'bout to teach you the pecking order.
It goes you, the dirt, the worms inside of the dirt, Popo's stool, Kami, then Popo.
~Mr. Popo, Dragonball Z Abridged[/color]

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:44 pm

When it comes to JRPGs and similar games, I always thought Chrono Trigger and Super Mario (particularly "Legend of the Seven Stars") were much better than anything in the FF series. But.. *shrug* it always boils down to personal preference. ;)
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

Faust

Postby Faust » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:56 pm

Siberys wrote:Just remember, saying Final Fantasy 7 was a great game, or the best final fantasy game is a LOT different than saying It was the best RPG ever.

No doubt. Certainly, I am not agreeing with the article's assessment. There are at least a dozen RPGs I'd rank ahead of it that I have played (and there are probably others I have not played that would deserve spots ahead of it). I was simply stating that it was an important game and one that impacted me. And, I'd agree with Dragonwench, as well. Chrono Trigger was a sensational game. I actually enjoyed many of the Dragon Warrior/Quest games more than most of the Final Fantasy series, as well. I never played the Super Mario RPGs, though.

fable

Postby fable » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:38 pm

Is this another of those articles that's actually meant as a satire? I admit, I no longer can tell.
To the Righteous belong the fruits of violent victory. The rest of us will have to settle for warm friends, warm lovers, and a wink from a quietly supportive universe.

DesR85

Postby DesR85 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:04 am

Faust wrote:I'm sure that those of you who are historians of the RPG genre - such as Buck, Brother None, and Fable - can speak more to its impact on Western RPGs than I can.

I know this question isn't directed at me, but I do recall someone here mentioning that one of the PS:T devs thanking FFVII for the inspiration behind his game. Not too sure about JRPG influence on the others, though...

As far as FFVII is concerned, I really liked the game and found it great. Then again, this is based on the fact that only two FF titles (VII and VIII) are ported over to the PC.
''They say truth is the first casualty of war. But who defines what's true? Truth is just a matter of perspective. The duty of every soldier is to protect the innocent, and sometimes that means preserving the lie of good and evil, that war isn't just natural selection played out on a grand scale. The only truth I found is that the world we live in is a giant tinderbox. All it takes...is someone to light the match" - Captain Price