Can't install Morrowind

If you have technical questions regarding computers, consoles, or the games we play on them, post them in here.
Sain
Can't install Morrowind

Postby Sain » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:25 pm

When I try to install Morrowind on my new computer, it installs up to 91%, then I get a message that says;
Component transfer error
Component: Data Files
File Group: Data Files
File: E:\data2.cab
Error: Data error(cyclic redundancy check).

After which the program closes. What should I do to fix it?
"That dead... whatever that thing was, is really gross, but Hawaii is still very nice."

RPGguy

Postby RPGguy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:43 pm

Sounds like the data2.cab file is corrupt (i.e. unreadable). Can you get another copy of that one file?
Spokesman for the Play with Cernd Foundation.
Author of such notable threads as 'Chicken in the Fridge'

Tricky

Postby Tricky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:16 am

Clean the disc thoroughly. If that doesn't work, find the scratches, add toothpaste and start polishing the surface with a piece of cloth.

Instead of toothpaste you might want to use anything else that's not so mild as to be only meant for dental care. I used it in favour of the more agressive bathroom cleaning solutions that have a bit more chalk, mostly because I thought they would damage the surface even further. I decided to take my time for it.
[INDENT][SIZE="1"][font="Courier New"]'..[color="White"]t[/color]olerance w[color="White"]h[/color]en fog rolls in clouds unfold your selfless wings fe[color="White"]a[/color]thers [color="White"]t[/color]hat float from arabesque pillows I sold to be consumed by the [color="White"]s[/color]now white cold if only the plaster could hold withstand the flam[url="http://bit.ly/foT0XQ"]e[/url] then this fountain torch [color="White"]w[/color]ould know no shame and be outstripped only by the sun that burns with the glory and [color="White"]h[/color]onor of [color="White"]y[/color]our..'[/font][/size][/INDENT]

Sain

Postby Sain » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:44 am

Sounds like the data2.cab file is corrupt (i.e. unreadable). Can you get another copy of that one file?

Well, my friend has a copy, but I'm pretty sure my computer is being evil. On almost every old game it finds a missing file or something.

Clean the disc thoroughly. If that doesn't work, find the scratches, add toothpaste and start polishing the surface with a piece of cloth.

Are you serious? I don't know if that will damage my disk, and don't wish to lose it to sarcasm.
"That dead... whatever that thing was, is really gross, but Hawaii is still very nice."

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:51 am

Tricky isn't being sarcastic. The toothpaste trick is quite well known.
Check [url="http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/77"]this[/url] link for more information.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

Tricky

Postby Tricky » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:32 am

If I had told you to use the tip of a cotton swab to polish the entire thing, yes, then I would have been sarcastic. ;)

The simple thing about CDs and DVDs is that the upper layer is just transparant plastic intended for protection. A scratch that doesn't reach all the way down won't damage the stored data underneath, it only refracts the laser a bit. When it gets bad enough it will make the laser scanner misread some data.

Toothpaste has to be just about the milest polishing agent. Nobody wants to ruin their teeth after all. It will take a lot of time, but it gets the safest, best result.
[INDENT][SIZE="1"][font="Courier New"]'..[color="White"]t[/color]olerance w[color="White"]h[/color]en fog rolls in clouds unfold your selfless wings fe[color="White"]a[/color]thers [color="White"]t[/color]hat float from arabesque pillows I sold to be consumed by the [color="White"]s[/color]now white cold if only the plaster could hold withstand the flam[url="http://bit.ly/foT0XQ"]e[/url] then this fountain torch [color="White"]w[/color]ould know no shame and be outstripped only by the sun that burns with the glory and [color="White"]h[/color]onor of [color="White"]y[/color]our..'[/font][/size][/INDENT]

Sain

Postby Sain » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:52 pm

I suppose I should try it then. And sorry Tricky, sarcasm doesn't translate well over the computer, so I wasn't sure. Still, it was rude and I apologize.

Tricky

Postby Tricky » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:39 am

Ah, hardly rude. Just cautious. :)

You shouldn't have to polish the entire thing, just the general areas where the scratches seem bad. You can clean the toothpast from the cd with a bit of water.

It's extremely unlikely, but if my advice somehow ends up making things worse I will personally send you a new disc. It's no trouble.