Adding NPC's

This forum is to be used for all discussions pertaining to Bethesda Softworks' The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and its Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansion packs.
Slick Fork
Adding NPC's

Postby Slick Fork » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:27 am

Hi there,

Just recently got the GOTY edition for PC, and I was playing around a little in the Construction Set. I'm trying to do a simple little plug in that adds a merchant like Creeper in Balmora (with lots of gold). I can't however seem to make her buy items at face value like creeper does and I was wondering if anybody knew the trick to that?

I was browsing around on Morrowind summit looking for a similar type merchant that I could dissect to figure it out, and couldn't find one advertised as similar (and I'm not going to download each of the hundreds of merchants!) and I happened to notice that whenever anyone uploaded a new merchant with a lot of gold there was a large negative response calling the mod unbalancing and cheating. This confuses me a little, in my mind it's just a time saving short-cut. I could see it being unbalancing if say they sold a full set of armour that made you immune to all magic and normal attacks and a sword of "I'm gonna whoop your butt" that casts fire frost poison and shock damage for 300 points each every time it strikes. But to me, your only getting the same services already available in the game, you just don't have to spend 5 minutes getting to Caldera or looking for the mud-crab and then an hour selling and then buying back to make change then rest and repeat. The net result is the same, you still get your big bucks for your hard-earned items, you just don't have to waste all your time buying and selling. Any thoughts on that?

i4v02v95i5p09k9

Postby i4v02v95i5p09k9 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:31 am

It isnt cheating, it really is just a time-saver.. I wish I could make NPC's like that, but i'm on Xbox..
What a wonderous love it is
To bind two souls in faith,
Chained completely together
With never a false word,
Weal and woe, wish and real,
Woven each together
From first kiss to last breath
First and last whispered in love

Ashland Hymn

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:49 am

I have seen several mods out there that vastly increase Creeper's gold while still ensuring he buys items at face value. I don't know very much about the technical side of things, but you may find something in the guts of those particular mods that serves as an example.
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

Dark Master

Postby Dark Master » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:43 am

Really I'd just echo what DW said, since Creeper must have something about him that changes the amount he pays for items so that he buys them at face value (could it be the fact that he doesn't have a disposition bar?) But anyway, I'd look into one of those mods if I was you.
If pro is the opposite of con, is Congress the opposite of progress? - Thanks to Blake for the avatar! :)

blake

Postby blake » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:10 pm

Yeah, its because he is a creature and creatures dont have dispositions
www.kickyouintheeye.com

Sig Size change per request of Vicsun

dragon wench

Postby dragon wench » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:14 pm

In that case, it might make sense to use a creature instead of a humanoid. How about an attitude-sporting Daedroth who operates a Skooma bar on the side? :D
[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][SIZE="1"]Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

[SPOILER]testingtest12[/SPOILER][color="Silver"].......All those moments ... will be lost ... in time ... like tears in rain.[/size][/color]

Slick Fork

Postby Slick Fork » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:50 pm

Yep, I tried increasing the Disposition to 100, increasing my mercantile skill to 100 and neither of those would get me full coin for my loot so I settled on a Frost Giant named Bill!