Category: News ArchiveHits: 618
The Rise of Discovery content update for Cryptic Studios and Perfect World Entertainment's Star Trek Online that launched on PC back in May, has finally made its way to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The update adds a couple of new story episodes themed after the currently ongoing Star Trek: Discovery TV show, and in the process, it introduces a new reputation and removes some restrictions from the game's Tier 6 starships. More on that:
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – June 25, 2019 – Today, Perfect World Entertainment Inc., a leading publisher of live service games, and Cryptic Studios announced Rise of Discovery is now available for Star Trek Online on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One. The free-to-play MMORPG continues its mission to explore the Star Trek universe from within by releasing a new update based on the popular CBS television series, Star Trek: Discovery. Rise of Discovery invites players to join the ranks of the U.S.S. Buran, commanded by Starfleet Captain Gabriel Lorca (voiced by Jason Isaacs) and Commander Ellen Landry (voiced by Rekha Sharma). Captains will play through two incredibly moving featured episodes to uncover what happened to these characters before they beamed aboard the U.S.S. Discovery in the show’s first season. Console players will also discover a brand new reputation, fly premium ships that now scale to their character level and beginning July 2, unlock free rewards exclusively for PlayStation Plus and Xbox Gold members.
For nearly a decade, Star Trek Online has expanded on incredible stories that were introduced in some of the franchise’s most iconic TV shows, including The Original Series, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise. This legacy continues with Star Trek: Discovery, as the game takes fans back to the show’s very first season to explore the relationship between Captain Gabriel Lorca and his trusted Chief of Security, Commander Ellen Landry. Rise of Discovery beams players aboard the U.S.S. Buran with Lorca and Landry, just one month after the Battle at the Binary Stars. Captains will answer an urgent distress call from the Starfleet vessel after it is ambushed by Klingon forces, who are searching for one of their own. This devastating attack forces Captain Lorca to crash land on a barren ice moon above Priors World, where his fate lies in the hands of Commander Landry and her remaining crew.
These events take place across brand new missions featured in Rise of Discovery. A full list of new content includes:
In addition, level restrictions have been removed for Tier 6 starships across all of Star Trek Online’s platforms, including PC, Xbox One and PlayStation®4. This means that all of the game’s vessels now scale to individual character level, giving players the chance to fly premiums ships that were previously only available to those who had reached a certain level in the game.
- Two New Featured Episodes – All of the game’s captains can participate in two brand new playable episodes which take place in the Star Trek: Discovery universe.
- “The Plausibility of the Possible” – Players will rescue the U.S.S. Buran, led by Captain Gabriel Lorca and Commander Ellen Landry, after the Starfleet ship is attacked by Klingons.
- “Impossibility of Reason” – Star Trek Online captains will team up with Landry on an urgent mission to rescue Lorca from a desolate ice moon before he is apprehended by a Klingon search party.
- Star Trek: Discovery Characters – Rise of Discovery features original voice acting from Star Trek: Discovery’s very own Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter film series, The Patriot) as Captain Lorca and Rekha Sharma (Battlestar Galactica, Alien vs Predators: Requiem) as Commander Landry.
- New Reputation – Console captains can explore a new Tier 6 Reputation, “Discovery Legends,” which allows players to earn exciting new Discovery themed rewards. All of the Discovery Task Force Operations will now feature Advanced and Elite versions that have been converted to support this new reputation and pay out Discovery Legend Marks.
From July 2nd through October 13, PlayStation Plus and Xbox Gold members will be able to unlock free rewards for Star Trek Online! The reward packs on each console include a color-variant Tardigrade Combat Pet, a color-variant Assault Drone Vanity Pet and three Master Keys.