3079 uses a modern, awesome 3D engine called jMonkeyEngine -- proving fast, fully featured 3D games are possible with Java.
* Practically endless, open-world exploration
* Sloped surfaces gives the world a new, less "blocky" look
* Multiplayer is in progress!
* Futuristic weapons and items procedurally generated for endless character equipment
* Smart artificial intelligence -- enemies and allies will dodge, follow, inspect sounds etc.
* Difficulty that increases as you explore further (don't worry, items get better too!)
* Complete storyline that has a start, middle and end
* Procedurally generated quests for rewards and story advancement
* Skill system for things like engineering, charisma and camouflage
* Body-part specific damage calculation: Head Shot!
* Soft ray-traced lighting (makes for nice shadows to hide in)
* Different biomes (grassland, mountains, snow, desert, sea etc.)
* A very fast, efficient multithreaded engine for smooth, high FPS gameplay almost completely free of "lag"
* Oh, and a touch of mining and building blocks :)